Targeted Professional Development: Comprehensive Teacher Retention Strategies
How can principals ensure the best teacher retention and the best candidate pool?
The Haberman Principals' Academy is designed to know and use every research-based
strategy to combat the teacher shortage.
- Selecting star teachers**;
- Selecting star administrators who will succeed and stay**;
- Understanding state and national strategies of new teacher support induction*;
- Helping new as well as experienced teachers deal with difficult people & the bureaucracy*;
- "Becoming a Star Teacher" supporting the emotional intelligence new teachers need*;
- recruiting and certifying staff*;
- completing an independent study utilizing Academy principles at your school**;
*One star=8 hours; **Two stars=16 hours.
The Haberman Principals' Academy will operate in key locations across the state
of Texas and the Nation to provide continuing professional education to administrators.
Of the 200 hours required by the SBEC every five years to maintain a principal certification,
approximately 100 hours can be accrued through The Haberman Principals' Academy
at the Haberman Education Foundation.
With every 8 or 16 hour course completion, principals receive a signed certificate
to satisfy SBEC requirements.
With a focus on human resources, the HEF has historically provided training to school
districts nationwide. Now, nationally acclaimed training is available with CPE credits
awarded by the State Board of Educator Certification.
- Star Teachers of Children in Poverty (KDP)
- Star Principals of Children in Poverty (KDP) by Martin Haberman
- A Peaceable School (PDK) by Vicky Dill
- Alternative Teacher Certification: History, Handbook & How to (HEF) by Vicky
Dill & Delia Stafford
- Becoming a Star Teacher (ASCD)
For more information about how your school district or a consortia of school districts
might participate, call -1800-667- 6185. Ask how The Haberman Principals' Academy
can help meet your shortage needs.
President George Bush brought alternative teacher certification to the attention
of policy-makers and the public by repeatedly advocating the alternative routes.
"We should break down the barriers to talented people who want to teach and have
demonstrated their competence in other fields"-- President George Bush - (1992)
The Haberman Educational Foundation is dedicated to helping principals and administrators
staff the nations' schools with teachers gifted in working with at-risk students
-- increasing student achievement, reducing teacher turnover, and identifying new
populations of teacher candidates.
The National Center for Alternative Teacher Certification Information
4018 Martinshire Drive
Houston, Texas 77025-3918
FAX/Phone: (713) 667-6185 or